Rārangi Wā

1908
September 3, 1908

Whakatāne – Akenehi Hei

Akenehi Hei

Akenehi Hei of Te Kaha first Māori registered as Nurse and Midwife under her Māori name.

1913
September 2, 1913

Whakatāne – Opening of the Whakatāne Anglican Māori Mission Hospital

Whakatāne Anglican Māori Mission Hopsital

Whakatāne Anglican Māori Mission Hopsital, Bridge Street, opened in October 1913, closed when Public Hospital opened in 1923

1914
August 18, 1914

Whakatāne – Opening of Ōpōtiki Hospital

Ōpōtiki Hospital 1914

Ōpōtiki Hospital opened replacing the original built in 1868.

August 18, 1914

Tauranga – Māori Medicine

Traditional medicines and practices were used by Māori to treat illness, and they were cared for in their homes.

1919
August 18, 1919

Tauranga – Native Nurse Appointed to Service Māori Communities

Following the Influenza Epidemic (1918) the Tauranga Hospital Board identified the need to appoint a Native Nurse to service Māori communities and she was provided with a horse and trap until 1933 when she got a car.

1923
August 18, 1923

Whakatāne – District Hospital Opened

Whakatāne District Hospital
1930
August 18, 1930

Tauranga – Major typhoid outbreak in the Māori settlement of Matapihi

Major typhoid outbreak in the Māori settlement of Matapihi, the Native Nurse still employed to service these settlements and Māori communities.

1957
August 18, 1957

Whakatāne – Anglican Māori Mission Hospital Fire

The Anglican Māori Mission Hospital was destroyed by fire.

1989
August 18, 1989

Tauranga – Te Puna Hauora Kaupapa Māori Health Service

Formation of Te Puna Hauora Kaupapa Māori Health Service within Tauranga Hospital.

1990
August 18, 1990

Tauranga – Ward 2A (Kaupapa Ward) Established

Ward 2A (Kaupapa Ward) established to meet the clinical and cultural needs of Māori patients. It is an acute ward for medical, respiratory, diabetes and cardiac care. Tauranga hospital is the only hospital in New Zealand with a dedicated Medical Kaupapa Ward and includes Kaupapa Nursing Mental Health Service, Kaupapa Social Work Service and Kaupapa Nursing Community Service. The Kaupapa ward has staff trained in basic Te Reo, Tikanga best practice, Kaupapa Māori Health, Tiriti o Waitangi, cultural safety, local history and knowledge of Tauranga Moana. The ward started with four beds, then six and in 2014 it has 10-12 beds dedicated to Maori with the ability to flex to 22 beds if required.

1998
August 18, 1998

Whakatāne – Maori Health Services Established

Maori Health Services Established in Whakatāne

Maori Health Services was established in Whakatāne

2000
August 18, 2000

Whakatāne – Te Whanau o Irakewa, BOP DHB, Maori Health Services Established

Amohere Tangitu

Te Whanau o Irakewa, BOP DHB, Maori Health Services established. Amohere Tangitu appointed as Manager.

August 19, 2000

Pacific Health – Merging of Tauranga Hospital (Western Bay Health) and Whakatane Hospital (Eastern Bay Health)

Merging of Tauranga Hospital (Western Bay Health) and Whakatane Hospital (Eastern Bay Health) to become Pacific Health (Hospital & Health Service – HHS) this then became BOP DHB.

2001
August 19, 2001

Tauranga – The BOPDHB Māori Health Runanga

Formation of the BOPDHB Māori Health Runanga consisting of representatives from the 18 iwi (tribes) across Mataatua (Bay of Plenty).

2008
August 19, 2008

Tauranga – Opening of Kaupapa Ward

Opening of Kaupapa Ward by local iwi and Kaumatua.

2010
August 19, 2010

Tauranga – The Amalgamation of Western and Eastern Bay of Plenty Māori Health Services

The amalgamation of Western and Eastern Bay of Plenty Māori Health Services.

2011
August 18, 2011

Whakatāne – Regional Maori Health Buildings Opened

Regional Maori Health Buildings were opened by Hone Anne Tolley, MP for the East Coast

2013
August 19, 2013

Tauranga – BOPDHB Won The Institute of Public Administration New Zealand

BOPDHB won the Institute of Public Administration New Zealand (IPANZ) Award for Crown-Māori Relationships.

August 19, 2013

Tauranga – Te Amorangi Kāhui Kaumatua Council

Te Amorangi Kāhui Kaumatua Council (Provider Arm) formed consisting of representatives from the 18 iwi among the Bay of Plenty, Department of Health geographic boundaries.